Gryphon Wing Snack Company
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guild forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Schmin's account compromised

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Schmin

Schmin's account compromised Empty
PostSubject: Schmin's account compromised   Schmin's account compromised I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Hey everyone,

On Saturday, that which is dreaded by most WoW players happened; I had someone with malicious intent log into my account and change my password.

At first, I figured I made a mistake, so I went to blizzard's account maintenance website and tried to retrieve my password, but my email address was no longer associated with the account. I suspected foul play and checked my profile on WoW armory. My level 20 druid, mysticow was wearing nothing but the non-vendorable heirloom shoulders. The same for my level 42 mage. My main was wearing all non-vendorable PVP gear, but missing a weapon, a wand, a belt, and a cloak. Clearly, this was no glitch.

Immediately, I panicked and tried to find a way to shut down my account. I exhausted the options on Blizzard's website, and was directed to their accounts maintenance 800 number. Unfortunately, the number only answers 8am-8pm pacific time Monday to Friday, and not on holidays such as Memorial Day.

I went onto ventrillo a few times. As many of you know, I never threw down the hard cash for a new microphone. I made my name "Schmin - plz open chat" or something similar to speak with someone, but nobody opened chat. Possibly I went unnoticed, but also I may have been willfully ignored since the person who was on my account was, according to a few guildies, quite vocal in the gchat.

I wasn't aware of this website as a means of communication. It is probably posted somewhere prominent, and I dropped the ball on that one. Additionally, I probably could have had better computer security. I am sorry for any trouble caused through my account. I am purchasing a Blizzard authenticator and beefing up my antivirus, my anti-spyware, and making sure my firewall and such are properly configured.

A few suggestions to others, although perhaps you guys are already a leg up on security:

1) A month or so ago I was logged onto an alt and my main was logged on. I wrote to a GM who said it might just be a glitch. If this happens to you, even if it is 99% a glitch, you are best off running some antispyware software and changing your password.

2) Blizzard authenticator is awesome. Its a little toy that gives you a number to type in, in addition to your password. It is a physical device, so it would be very difficult for someone with malicious intent to log into your account without the item. it is under 7 dollars.

3) Communication is important. There must be a way to get in touch with one's friends when one's account gets compromised. Missattitude has my personal email address and I intend on getting a mic so that my voice could be recognized.

Ive spoken with a GM and I will have my items (and guild bank items that were stolen) restored, but the GM said to expect at least a 2 week wait. So, it looks like all will end well. However, in all my time on the internet ive never had a problem with security. Let this be a reminder to those who are lax in keeping themselves safe.

-Schmin
Back to top Go down
Oksar

PostSubject: Re: Schmin's account compromised   Schmin's account compromised I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Glad to hear that you are back, and the account is back where is should be.

See you ingame.
Back to top Go down
Korinok

Korinok

PostSubject: Re: Schmin's account compromised   Schmin's account compromised I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:09 pm

WOW Sorry to hear about your trials at the hands of a total ass-hat. I am glad you will be getting your toons and gear back. Sorry to say it can happen to anyone even when you think your security is up to par. Hackers come out with new stuff all the time and Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Malware people are always behind. They don't know what fixes to put out till someone has something like this happen. I am real happy this turned out well for you Schmin and I hope to see you in game soon bud.

We Miss Ya
Back to top Go down
sorengal

sorengal

PostSubject: Dang!   Schmin's account compromised I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Well I just hope that we all can learn from this and make sure that we try and look out for one another. Gator affraid
Back to top Go down
https://gwsc-horde.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schmin's account compromised   Schmin's account compromised I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Schmin's account compromised
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gryphon Wing Snack Company :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: